Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sale! Sale! Sale!

Now doesn't that title just get your pulse rate up? Who needs a treadmill!

We're having a heat wave so it will be a good day to try out some of the summer things I found while we were travelling through the States. We drove from Fernie, BC home through the US, and shopped when we could. It was a long journey although the scenery was breathtaking, to say the least. We hopped out of the car every few hours and shopped to stretch our legs..there you have it. Shopping is good therapy on every level! Rick managed to find tons, while I was forced to wade through a lot of the brown stuff to find my ponies!

The summer things were gone from the stores, leaving pretty poor pickings...but the few things that were there, were marked down to almost nothing. I found a formal black dress for the cruise this January reduced, reduced, reduced and reduced again to a rediculous 6.99! It fits like a dream and is very packable fabric. Every once in awhile, you find a sleeveless dress that actually was made with the chubby in mind...this little bargain has shoulders that come down far enough to cover that fish belly part of the upper arm, yet tuck nicely up under the arm, if you get my drift. With the right jewellery, I think it will do quite nicely several nights for dinner!

Miraculously, I also found a pair of Bermuda shorts, and a pair of Capri's...both JMS, and made of the softest, nicest white cotton. They were the only ones left on the rack, and were just waiting for me, it seems! We went from store to store, finding little treasures as we went. At Dress Barn, I found two piece dressy pant outfit - remember the baby doll pj's from way back? Well, this is what the top looked like to me! A short double chiffon top, sleeveless but with good coverage of the fish belly and a rhinestone clasp at the bottom of the V neckline, with a bit of tie. The pants fit perfectly, and actually were long enough! When the clerk first showed it to me? It looked a bit too ruffly, but when I tried it on? It was made for me. Unfortunately it was full price, but that just tells you how much I liked it doesn't it?

I found a sundress for seven dollars, too. And a white cotton dress that will be perfect for our trip to Mexico. Very light cotton with its own slip attached, with Battenbug embroidery around the neck. It will be difficult to iron, but so worth it. I try to wear as much white as I can in hot countries, so it looks like I too have a bit of colour! I a little purple number as well as a black straight dress with white embroidered trim on the neck, sleeve and hem in Lane Bryant on on a 60% off rack! The new microfibres are so lovely on the body, and make the most of what God gave you. Finding these things was a thrill, but sharing the details of the hunt? Priceless!

I am trying a new routine to care for my skin. With an eye geared towards simplicity, I am now using Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser or Dove soap...yes, S O A P - and it works. I have asked countless women with good skin exactly what they use on their face, and the ones with the best skin inevitably say "soap and water". So to heck with the lines the cosmetic companies feed you! The cream cleanser is a necessity for gentle eye makeup removal, though! A pump bottle of Olay moisturizer with SPF 15 works as both a day and a night cream. Those moonbeams will get you every time! Of course, I have found out that the eating gluten was making my skin break out so that is no longer a problem. Thank goodness! Healing skin is one of life's greatest joys!


As the days passed, I found little treasures here and there. NO shoes though. Good thing I have enough shoes to choke a horse! Could always use one more pair though....

The downside is that I now have to weed through my closet and discard, discard, discard once again. Closet cleaning is never done! So, hopefully, I will get to that little chore sometime this week. My experience has shown me that fashion mistakes do not get any better if you leave them in your closet. For instance, I have a dress that I have only worn once. It is just too short and too wide. I don't feel comfortable in it at all. I remember thinking that it was too short and too wide when I bought it, but I loved the material. Well, one out of three just isn't enough! My dream is still to have a pared down wardrobe with only things I love to wear at my fingertips. A girl needs to dream.....

No comments: