Friday, January 2, 2009

Out with the old...

and in with the new year. Time to start blogging again, and getting serious about this whole diet thing. Truth is, that I am really discouraged. I have been working the program for two years, and the loss has been painfully slow. Last time I visited the doctor, he told me that no matter how hard I tried, if my body produced too much cortisol, fat I would be. The solution? De-stress. Now this has taken a lot of thought. To begin with, I didn't realize I had a stress problem. So, now that I am aware of the stress I can deal with it.

1. First of all, I am going to give people back their problems. I can't do anything about their lives...I am working on my own.

2. I am not going to stress over every morsel I eat. My little friend calls me a "foody" - I am inclined to agree with her because I do love the subtleties of food. Sticking to a bland diet just isn't my thing. I love variety, and sometimes, the price to pay is a few more calories. So pay I will, and save calories on the mundane! One good piece of bread is far better than two slices of sawdust put out by Weight Watchers! Danes eat open faced sandwiches, so now? Time to follow my roots.

3. This year, I bought myself a "page a day" spiral bound, 5x7 book type calendar..ugly as sin but already, it is proving to be quite useful. The days are divided by hours, and there are three areas on the bottom of each page to record important data...like the news the scales tell every morning! I am going to record every detail, as usual, but horror of horrors? I am going to use pen and paper so I can look back and see patterns as they develop...the good and the bad.

4.After a month of "freestyle" menu planning, I am hoping to come up with a pared down menu based on past successes. I hope to compile a menu complete with a shopping list for each season from the info I collect this year. My aim is to have a "real" (I don't want the chemicals and excess salt in packaged meats)source of protein available for the "little meals" during the week. Leftovers are a dieter's life line. Think of the times you are tempted to stray from the path because there is no plan for your next meal.

To start the year off right? I made a little roast chicken which I rinsed, patted dry, rubbed with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with herbes de provence, then placed a clove of crushed garlic in the cavity. The secret is to use a thermometer to test for doneness. It read 155 on the button, and when tented with foil for fifteen minutes, finished cooking, and drew all the nice juices back into itself. I have a tendency to overcook meats, and having a thermometer has been a real eye opener for me. I have reduced the cooking time by at least 25%, and the results have been wonderful. Who knew?

Anyway, we had the basic meat, potatoes and vegetable lunch as the bones from the chicken simmered to make our soup for supper. Supper was soup, a few Breton crackers and Bourson cheese. Snack last night was cut up apples and some Cheetos. Take a slice of apple,then a little nibble of Cheetos. Not handfuls, but just a little bite. Result? A veritable party in your mouth!

My days are all mixed up. It really felt like yesterday was Sunday and now? I have to remind myself that it is Friday, not Monday! I am going to a spice party tonight, so hope to find some low cal tricks for dips. Eating a plate of fresh crunchy veggies is so much better if you have a nice creamy dip! So many times, as dieters, we forget about the big picture when reading the calorie count on a product. The fact is, if you can spend 100 calories on a good dip, you get a very filling lunch of fresh vegetables and dip for about 200 calories. 250 if you really are starving! And think of the servings of vegetables that you give your body. And yet? So often we put back the tub of Marzetti's because it is "fattening". Time to readjust my thinking, and get on with life!

No comments: