Monday, November 2, 2015

Another Day Another Drawer

Drawers. There is never a time that I don't enjoy tidying a drawer! I love the promise of a "new and improved" super organized drawer. I fall for every tray, box or organizer I come across, and yes, I do use every one of them. Mind you, you just might find refrigerator organizers in the bathroom cabinets, and makeup organizers in my kitchen drawers, and once or twice I have been known to use tool boxes for lace trims and thread!  It is all about following the flow of your life, how and what you use.  And of course, that changes with the seasons of your life. At one time, I used a lot of cosmetics, and loved to try new things. Now I am a "use it to the last drop" type of person because I only use what works for me, and usually repurchase the same item. It really makes life a lot easier when you don't have too many choices. Enough for variety, but not too many that it boggles your mind in the morning! 

I started my day today tidying my makeup and hair products in my vanity drawer.  It is huge, so I was able to fit everything from blush to hairbrushes in one single drawer!  The tower is well on it's way to be organized as well...I am using it for the final "gilding of the lily". Things that I put on last, and take off first! My eyeglass collection, for instance. They have found a home in the second drawer down, with no need of cumbersome cases. 

There were a few other little victories today. We found a buffet to use as a beverage station in the dinette. This is more than a convenience, it is pretty much a necessity in a home that only has one plug in to use at the kitchen counter! By moving the toaster and coffee pot to the dinette, it will solve the "bumping" problem that we seem to have every morning. The one we chose has two doors, and a center area for 'more pleasant to look' at things. The doors on either side will cover an ample supply of coffee pods, tea bags and hot chocolate packets. I am anticipating that this piece of furniture will also house a fair amount of "air"!  

There is so much to do in this house that it could easily become overwhelming. However, we keep on an even keel by going to bed on time every night, and doing what we can every day.  We have a carpet cleaner scheduled for Thursday to see if we can coax the family room carpet into living for another year or so.  Not having to replace 100 square yards of carpeting will certainly ease our stretched budget!  We hadn't really counted on redoing the bathroom, but it was so badly done that we really have no choice. There is nothing worse than an older home that has had "improvements" that are just not suitable.  That is the case with our main bathroom. So, there is no choice but to demolish and do it again. The good news is, that it is just the vanity, mirror, lighting, tiles and flooring that need replacing. The tub and surround are fine, as is the toilet.  But how are we going to manage without those things while the tiling is being done?  The downstairs bath is so far away from our bedroom, that we will get our 10,000 steps in before waking in the morning...maybe we will just give in and sleep in the guest room until it is all done and dusted!

No comments: